'Sexy', 'slimy', manamit (delicious) nga "Takway" ~ my favorite ♥



Adobo Nga Takway

I absolutely love this dish.
"Takway" is a local term which refers to the shoots or tendrils of the taro ("gabi") plant.
It takes careful preparation to cook this dish because of its 'itchy skin'.


(my homemade Adobo Nga Takway)

Gakaon man kamo sini?
 (Do you also eat this?) 
 Analyn, one of our long-time helpers,
 took her day-off and went home to their hometown in the South.
She came back today and as usual,
 brought us lots of vegetables and root crops,
 including my fave ~ "Takway"!

"Thank You, Lord,
 for the loyalty of our household help 
and the blessings that they share with us in their own simple way." ♥

My homemade Adobo Nga Takway

Ingredients:
Takway (cleaned and cut into pieces)
cooking oil (I use either Canola Oil or Olive Oil.)
garlic (chopped)
onions (sliced)
tomatoes (sliced)
pcs.of pork (optional)
shrimp paste (or "Guinamos" in our Ilonggo/Hiligaynon dialect)
water
*soy sauce (*Kikkoman or any brand you prefer)
*vinegar (*some prefer to use cane vinegar but I prefer to use organic apple cider vinegar ~ Braggs is my favorite brand)
brown sugar
salt
pepper

Procedure:
1. Clean and peel Takway very well; wash several times.

2. Heat cooking oil in a pan.

3. Saute some garlic, onions, *tomatoes, and shrimp paste ("guinamos").
Add pieces of pork, too, if you want.

(*Others don't add tomatoes when they cook Takway but for me, I always include it because I love the taste with tomatoes in it.)

4. Add Takway and saute for 2 minutes in "high" heat.

5. Add some water, soy sauce and vinegar.

6. Add a dash of brown sugar to 'sweeten' a little the 'sour' timpla (mixture).

7. Cover the pan and let the Takway dish simmer until tender.

8. Season with a dash of salt ("asin") and pepper for flavoring.

9. Make sure that your Takway is not overcooked lest it becomes "mushy" (yikes!).

10. Serve immediately with lots of steamed rice

11. Attack!
Este ~ enjoy!
(heheh)

Love ~ SAL ♥

Post a Comment

1 Comments

Crown of Beauty said…
Hi Sally
I enjoyed looking at your blog ... I love takway, but don't know how to cook it. Thanks for showing us how.

Blessings...

Lidia

FOOD MORNING, BACOLOD!☺

© Copyright - FOOD MORNING, BACOLOD!☺